Policies and Procedures for Creative Services
This policy supports university identity efforts and the utilization of campus resources (Biomedical Communications, University Relations, and ETSU Postal Services) collaborating under the umbrella title Creative Services, to provide design, print, and mail services for all university departments and university affiliates.
Creative Services is to be used for all identity, design, print (including digital/offset printing), mail (including use of variable data and bulk mail procedures), promotional items, advertising, displays, signage, and other relevant media/materials. Custom projects will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Creative Services personnel will be available for consultation throughout the design and production process.
Exemptions include scientific posters, classroom instructional materials, student assignments, scholarly publications such as journal articles, and conference slide presentations.
1. All design, including but not limited to, print, digital, or advertising shall be processed through and approved by Creative Services.
2. Graphics designed by personnel outside of Creative Services may require modification for compliance with university identity standards and/or production requirements. All designs shall be submitted and approved prior to production.
1. Requests for printing shall be processed through Creative Services.
2. Creative Services will work with the customer to determine the most effective and efficient methods for production.
1. The USPS nonprofit and business reply permits are managed solely by ETSU Postal Services and any use of these permits for off campus mailings must be coordinated in advance. All bulk mailing shall be processed through Creative Services.
2. Creative Services will work with the customer to determine the most effective and efficient method for mailing.
d. PROMOTIONAL ITEMS
1. Only officially licensed vendors may produce merchandise bearing the ETSU trademarks [ETSU Trademark and Licensing: https://www.etsu.edu/univrela/identity/trademark/default.aspx].
2. All promotional items shall be processed through Creative Services.
1. All designs for advertisements must be submitted to and approved by Creative Services prior to production.
2. Advertisements shall be processed through Creative Services. This includes online, print, radio, TV, billboards, sponsorships, etc. (excludes: journal pages and job postings).
Representations of the university must comply with ETSU Identity Standards and will be processed through Creative Services [ETSU Identity Standards: https://www.etsu.edu/univrela/identity/documents/style_graphic_standards.pdf].
b. STATE AND FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Printing: Creative Services will manage assignment and reporting of ETSU Number.
2. Promotional Items:
a. State funds cannot be used to purchase apparel or promotional items for state employees, unless the item, for example apparel, is required to perform the duties of the position and would not be worn outside the work scope[IRS Publication 15 Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide, Wages not paid in money https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15; IRS Publication 529 Miscellaneous Deductions, Work Clothes and Uniforms, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf].
b. Product purchased with foundation funds for students, faculty, or staff is allowed, with limits by the IRS, of one item per year per person (maximum value of $50).
c. ETSU is a tax-exempt organization and therefore entities are not permitted to resell merchandise for fundraising or any other purposes.
3. Competitive pricing is required at state bid limits [T.C.A. 12-3-503].
VI. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
a. Creative Services website: https://www.etsu.edu/creativeservices
b. ETSU Identity: https://www.etsu.edu/identity
c. Biomedical Communications: https://www.etsu.edu/com/biomedcomm
d. ETSU Postal Services: https://www.etsu.edu/bf/postoffice